This month’s Birch Bay Chamber of Commerce meeting (August 21st) is an important meeting for our community. While it may seem that the news about a new jail is something way off in the future, or does not really pertain to us here in Birch Bay, it is something that touches on each and everyone of us in Whatcom County. Our current jail is not only overcrowded, it is unsafe and failing.
Public Safety Now will be presenting a multi-media educational talk about the how’s and why’s we need a new Whatcom County Jail and how the process is working. Introducing our speakers on behalf of Public Safety Now will be our own Doralee Booth. Joining Doralee will be Bruce Ayers, Chairman, Constantine Papadakis, Vice-Chairman, Paul Myers, Member, and Technical Advisors Bill Elfo, Sheriff and Wendy Jones, Chief of the Whatcom County Jail.
The mission of the Public Safety Now citizen group is to support, engage, and encourage Whatcom County officials to begin immediately with concurrent planning and siting, and then the design and construction of a safe, contemporary, efficient and affordable essential public jail facility. Public Safety Now researches, analyzes, and provides accurate and insightful information for the community about the acute urgency and public safety importance of building a new main jail facility now.
Public Safety Now is a group of community citizens who are concerned with the current unsafe and failing Whatcom County Main Jail facility. It is the position of Public Safety Now that a new main jail facility including a Jail Work Center:
- be sited in a geographically centralized location that serves all of Whatcom County (urban fringes of Bellingham)
- contain 600-750 beds
- be horizontally constructed for efficient operations and future expansion
- contain space for efficient Sheriff’s Office support and law enforcement operations
This critical and essential facility should be constructed and ready for operations by the end of 2015 or sooner.
This month’s meeting will be held at the American Legion Hall, 4580 Legion Dr, Blaine, WA 98230, just off the Birch Bay Lynden Road across from the Fire Hall. Again this month the Bay Cafe will be providing catering for our meeting and you do need to call them (360-371-5409) to order your meal (If you are paying by Credit Card, you do need to pay in advance). Your $10.00 order includes one of the following items:
- Roast Beef Sandwich- on our famous thick wheat bread with cheddar cheese, lettuce and tomato
- Chef Salad-Crisp heart of romaine lettuce, turkey, ham, cheddar cheese, olives, tomato, bacon and hardboiled egg and Cookie Choice: Ranch and Italian Dressing
- Turkey Sandwich-on sourdough bread with provolone cheese, lettuce and tomato
- Vegetarian and Gluten Free Options Are Available.
All are served with our famous Chocolate Chip-Macadamia-Coconut Cookie, Chips and Bottled Water
For further information on the Birch Bay Chamber of Commerce, please visit our website.